CALL FOR PROPOSALS VP/2012/007
CALL FOR PROPOSALS FOR SOCIAL POLICY EXPERIMENTATIONS
BUDGET HEADING 04.040102
This call for proposals on social policy experimentations intends to improve the quality and effectiveness of social policies and to facilitate their adaptation to new social needs and societal challenges. Through this call, PROGRESS countries embarking on welfare reforms are offered financial support to experiment envisaged policy changes and reforms before implementing them, if successful, on a wider scale.
Selected projects have to contribute to developing and testing socially innovative approaches to policy priorities in the context of the Europe 2020 Strategy and the Open Method of Coordination on social protection and social inclusion. To be selected under this call, projects should focus on a relevant issue within the context of employment and social policies, keeping in mind in all cases the gender equality dimension of the issue and the link with the Country Specific Recommendations9 2012-2013 applying to the participating countries.
The Commission invites potential applicants to consider in particular the following themes:
Promotion of youth activation measures to tackle and prevent youth unemployment and exclusion, in particular for young people facing multiple barriers to labour market entry (e.g. those living in rural, deprived urban, remote and peripheral areas), in line with the Youth Opportunities Initiative, which is a multidimensional policy approach combining actions for preventing early school leaving, supporting skills development, facilitating transition from education to work and access to the labour market for the youth across the EU;
Provision of quality childcare services, which requires a comprehensive approach in line with the Strategy for Equality between women and men (2010- 2015) and the Communication on Early Childhood Education and Care (ECEC) that focuses on the provision and quality of key services for improving child well-being, covering – among other things – accessibility, affordability, staff competences and quality assurance mechanisms. ECEC also has an impact on issues such as gender equality, poverty, women’s labour market participation, birth rates and the development of human potential;
Promotion of active and healthy ageing, which is underpinned by cross-sectoral actions aiming, among others, at improving the health status and the quality of life, supporting the sustainability and efficiency of health care and social services systems, ensuring decent working conditions and prolonging working lives, as well as at promoting social inclusion and independent living for all citizens, with a particular focus on older people, as outlined in the Strategic Implementation Plan of the European Innovation Partnership on Active and Healthy Ageing.
Indicative budget, minimum and maximum grants, rate of co-financing
The overall indicative amount made available for this call is 4 200 000 €. The grant requested should be 700 000 € minimum and 1 000 000 € maximum. 1 000 000 € will be allocated to projects focusing on youth activation measures. If the quality of the applications dedicated to this theme is not judged sufficient by the Evaluation Committee, the Commission reserves the right to reallocate this budget to the applications addressing other themes.
The grant will not exceed 80% of the total eligible costs of the action. The applicant has to guarantee the co-financing of the remaining 20%. The equivalent of no less than 20% of the total eligible costs is to be supported by the applicant’s own resources or from other sources. Contributions in kind are not accepted as co-financing.
The Commission reserves the right not to distribute the funds available if the quality of the applications received does not warrant it.
Eligibility of the applicant
The applicant should meet the following eligibility criteria:
1. The applicant must be established in one of the PROGRESS participating countries;
2. The applicant must be a public authority, at central, regional or local level, or a body governed by public law;
As this call focuses on public policy interventions, it is addressed to public authorities acting as policy-makers, at national, regional or local level. A good quality cooperation with beneficiaries and stakeholders – including socialpartners, social service providers and civil society organisations – will be instrumental in making the social policy experiment a successful process.
Deadline for submission of proposals
The proposals must be submitted electronically online and sent by post or by personal delivery in one original to the Commission, by 15 February 2013 at the latest.
For more information and documents click here.