European Commission – EuropeAid
European Instrument for Democracy
& Human Rights (EIDHR)
Country-Based Support Scheme – Egypt 2013
Reference: EuropeAid /134-207/L/ACT/EG
Deadline for submission of Concept Notes: Thursday 23 May 2013, 15.00 (Cairo time)
The global objective of this Call for Proposals is to strengthen the role of civil society in promoting human rights and democratic reforms in Egypt.
The specific objective of this Call for Proposals is to support civil society in Egypt working on human rights (political, civil, economic, social and cultural) and democratisation, so as to:
pursue common agendas for human rights and democratic reformbuild towards consensus on disputed or controversial areas of policyenhance political representation and participationenhance the inclusiveness and pluralism of civil societysupport activities aimed at promoting the issues covered by EU guidelines on Human Rights.
Under this call, priority will be given to actions in Egypt that aim to:
Promote women’s rights and women’s political participation through non-partisan activities; combat violence and harmful practices against women, including sexual harassment;Support freedom of association and strengthen civil society organisations’ role and capacities as human rights advocates; encourage dialogue between the government and civil society on the adoption and implementation of international human rights conventions;Promote freedom of expression and freedom of religion or belief; build a culture of dialogue, tolerance and co-existence; build the capacity of the media to promote a culture of democracy and human rights.Combat torture and other forms of ill treatment and improve pre-detention and detention conditions, including through the monitoring of detention centers;Protect the rights of refugees and vulnerable migrant communities, including victims of trafficking;Protect human rights defenders, including journalists covering human rights violations.
Actions must take place in Egypt.
The following types of action are ineligible:
· actions concerned only or mainly with individual sponsorships for participation in workshops, seminars, conferences and congresses;· actions concerned only or mainly with individual scholarships for studies or training courses;· actions supporting political parties;· actions involving proselytism.
Types of activity
Actions can include a mix of activities, such as:
– Monitoring and reporting on human rights issues and policies;
– Studies, evaluations and research activities as part of a wider range of activities;
– Organisation of meetings and events to build cohesion and dialogue among different stakeholders;
– Coordination and networking activities;
– Advocacy and lobbying;
– Capacity building, trainings and educational activities;
– Legal and other support to victims of human rights violations;
– Public information and awareness raising activities about specific human rights issues.
The list of activities is indicative and not exhaustive.
Any grant requested under this Call for Proposals must fall between the following minimum and maximum amounts:
· minimum amount: € 100,000· maximum amount: € 250,000
Any grant requested under this Call for Proposals must fall between the following minimum and maximum percentages of total eligible costs of the action:
· Minimum percentage: 50 % of the total eligible costs of the action.· Maximum percentage: 95 % of the total eligible costs of the action
Who Can apply??
Applicants established in Egypt or a Member State of the European Union or an accession or official candidate country as recognized by the European Union, or in a Member State of the European Economic Area.
See on webgate.ec.europa.eu