- to contribute to citizens’ understanding of the Union, its history and diversity;
- to foster European citizenship and to improve conditions for civic and democratic participation at Union level.
- raise awareness of remembrance, common history and values and the Union’s aim that is to promote peace, its values and the well-being of its peoples by stimulating debate, reflection and development of networks;
- encourage democratic and civic participation of citizens at Union level, by developing citizens’ understanding of the Union policy making-process and promoting opportunities for societal and intercultural engagement and volunteering at Union level.
Structure of the Europe for Citizens Programme and types of grants
The Programme is implemented through two Strands and a horizontal Action:
- Strand 1: European remembrance: Raise awareness of remembrance, common history and values and the Union’s aim.
- Strand 2: Democratic engagement and civic participation: Encourage democratic and civic participation of citizens at Union level.
Measures in this strand are:
- Town Twinning;
- Networks of Towns;
- Civil Society Projects
Types of grants:
A distinction has to be made between action grants and operating grants awarded within the Europe for Citizens Programme.
ACTION GRANTS can be granted for projects (within both strands), i.e. for actions with a limited lifetime during which proposed specific activities are implemented.
OPERATING GRANTS are different from action grants in that they provide financial support for costs required for the proper conduct of the usual and permanent activities of an organisation. That means: staff costs, the cost of internal meetings, publications, information and dissemination, travel costs arising from the implementation of the work programme, rental payments, depreciation and other costs directly linked to the organisation’s work programme.
Next deadline: 01/03/2016 – 12:00 (CET/CEST, Brussels time)
For more information click here
If you enjoyed this article, do not forget to subscribe to my newsletter (it’s free).