Objectives of the prize
The objectives of the prize are to:
- Reduce maternal and/or new-born deaths, stillbirths and/or maternal and new-born morbidity rates related to giving birth in facility-based deliveries
- Improve quality and outcomes of care surrounding facility-based delivery
A novel solution to improve the outcome of facility-based deliveries, which might be of a clinical, technological or managerial nature, or a combination of these. The selected solution must take full account of relevant social factors and have the potential of scaling up rapidly.
Who can participate?
The contest is open to any legal entity (including natural persons) or groups of legal entities.
Participants who have already been awarded an EU or Euratom prize cannot receive a second prize for the same activities.
- The European Commission will award a prize of 1 Million EUR.
- The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp. have each committed to award the winning contestants 1 selected by the European Commission.
- The additional funding envisaged by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is 1 Million EUR.
- The additional funding envisaged by Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp. is 500 000 EUR.
- Up to 2 (two) additional prizes may be awarded.
Deadline: 6 September 2017 at 17:00 CET
For more information and call documents click here
If you enjoyed this article, do not forget to subscribe to my newsletter (it’s free).